Sunday, November 1, 2009

Day of the Dead

Devil's night
Happy Halloween - All Saints Day - Samhain - beginning of the darker half of the year - Daylight's savings time
Day of the DeadLots of days right in a row. Powerful time.

I love the Day of the Dead art, it's fun, colorful, slightly creepy.Skeleton art, sugar skulls, festivals, candles, food, music, remembrance, short poems "calaveras" mocking epitaphs of friends, describing interesting habits and attitudes or funny anecdotes.As a rule, I love shrines!

Ms. Smart's photos: The young Frida, The colorful skulls, The sugar skulls I made w/loved ones, The blue masked man, I created the voodoo dresser and it lives in my house.

6 comments:

Queen said...

Oh I love shrines too! So does Sister Wolf. I will have to send you a shot of the one she made for me to celebrate my becoming The Patron Saint of Hoarding. It's a work of genius xxx
Queen Marie

Noble Beeyotch said...

Wow...the red cake looks spooky delish!....and the shrine is so so so pretty fab!


www.callmestylista.blogspot.com

Walter Neiger said...

a stunning collection ... and a really nice voodoo dress!

Couture Carrie said...

Fun post, darling!
That cake is amazing!

xoxox,
CC

vicki archer said...

Very clever and spooky, xv.

The Haute-Shopper said...

Fantastic images! I love the colorful + sugar skulls and that first cake... pretty amazing.