Monday, November 30, 2009

Ode To A September Tomato*

Dear tomato,

I love you!
Your redness taunts me.
Your full lobes compel me.
I lightly salt & pepper your ruby lushness.
My lips to you in holy epicurean matrimony.
Ah, the inaugural taste bud explosion.Swept off my feet.
Danced round the room.
I reel.
Ripe, red, delicious, satisfying.
I surrender.

Desired sought - fulfilled.


Once upon a time in Leamington, Canada, there lived a giant tomato house/building. I bear witness. I was there. Rode there in the back seat of a Plymouth station wagon, facing the oncoming traffic, you know the seat. I received a small green plastic pickle pin, Heinz, from the big tomato people.

4 comments:

Walter Neiger said...

Dear MS Smart a magnificent ode ... I'm impressed !

Couture Carrie said...

Gorgeous post and poem, darling!

xoxox,
CC

WendyB said...

I didn't encounter too many good tomatoes this year :-(

vicki archer said...

I love your ode to this humble fruit...xv